By HarlemGal for HarlemCondoLife
I called over today to Lee, Lee’s Bakery to order a large red velvet cake for an upcoming summer party. Cake is a product I ordered often from Mr. Lee, especially red velvet cake, cause it tastes delicious and it was always a hit at parties. But now, I cannot do this any more. I was told the unthinkable today by someone answering the phone at Lee, Lee’s. They said I had to order now and pick up ASAP in order to have my cake. I was told the last day of business for Lee, Lee’s Bakery in Harlem is this Monday, May 31.
I immediately asked what the H, E, double tooth pick happened? The person said, it’s the red, we are in the red. I said, I thought things were looking up with new orders of your product to places like Best Yet Market. The response I got was orders such as this stopped. Total silence. Then we hung up!
I have to say upfront, I am so heart broken to hear this news. Not only did I like my red velvet cake from Lee, Lee’s, but I enjoyed talking to Mr. Lee himself, who I found to be so sweet, kind and loveable. In addition, I encountered a loyal following of this place when I moved to Harlem more than five years ago. When I needed sweets, most people in Harlem would direct me to Lee, Lee’s Bakery on 118th.
The only thing I can think of now is to make a public plea on this site to try and save Lee,
Lee’s Bakery in Harlem. It’s worth a try…right?
Is there anyone out there who can help Mr. Lee? Does anyone know of someone who has revived local businesses before? If so, here is an opportunity. This man has wonderful baked products. He may need help with marketing, PR, and business management. But overall the goods are there. If you can help or know someone who can, call 917-493-6633 or visit the bakery at 283 West 118th Street in Harlem.
In closing, all I can say is Where is Construction Intervention for bakeries? Where is ABC’s Extreme Home Makeover when you need them? And most of all, where is Oprah Winfrey or Ellen DeGeneres when you need them? Fans of Lee, Lee’s Bakery in Harlem are calling!
Play Recent Podcasts
Search / Browse
- Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- New York City to repair decaying Harlem buildings
- Sign petition to bring Citibikes to Harlem
- Taste Of India – A Bollywood Benefit in Harlem for a good cause At Red Rooster / Ginny’s Supper Club
- Harlem will benefit from Obama’s “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative
Recent post comments
- nykeiko_com on Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- HarlemHCL on Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- Juan Beto Rosado on Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- Urban Garden Center LLC on Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- HinHARLEM on New York City to repair decaying Harlem buildings
- Juan Beto Rosado, Lisa Rachel Nickie and 3 other people like your link: "Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka..."
- Harlem Restaurant Row shared your link: "Taste Of India - A Bollywood Benefit in Harlem..."
- Lara Land and Jennifer Hewitt like your link: "Taste Of India - A Bollywood Benefit in..."
- Janice Sterling likes your link.
- Janice Sterling likes your photo.