By HarlemGal for HarlemCondoLife
What does The Tonic Bar located in Times Square have in common with Harlem? The Tonic Bar is owned by a couple who live in Harlem. They’ve been residents of Harlem since 2006. The couple behind The Tonic Bar in Times Square have now decided to invest 100 percent in where they live by launching Harlem Tavern, a neighborhood bar & grill, at 2153 Frederick Douglass Blvd. This is the space we told you about back in April how the corner gas station/auto shop was up for lease. (Oh…and a reader too had sent us an update on the recent construction happening at this corner space.)
Today, one of the owners of the upcoming Harlem Tavern spoke directly with HarlemCondoLife to tell us why they are putting their dinero dollars into where they live-particularly Frederick Douglass Blvd.
According to Sheri Wilson from SoHa 116 Restaurant Corporation and co-owner along with her husband says Harlem Tavern will be a restaurant that is representative of Harlem. “Harlem Tavern is going to be a place for everyone. Harlem is such a diverse place. We are creating Harlem Tavern to capture and accommodate that diversity,” says Wilson.
Wilson says word recently got out about their exact plans cause their website was just finished and hit the internet. She said “you’re the first we are speaking to.”
They still have several processes to complete with NYC’s Department of Buildings. However, they’ve built-in plenty of time to open in their business timeline, which is not soon. Wilson says they are aiming to open after the new year. “If all things go as planned, we plan to open in February 2011.” She said if they make that deadline they will get heating lamps to accommodate customers and the winter weather.
In closing, Wilson explained why Frederick Douglass Blvd? “Harlem is a great place to live and Frederick Douglass Blvd is a wonderful street that holds enormous potential for growth.” We could not agree more with Sheri Wilson! We have dubbed FDB as “restaurant row” and the “gold coast of Harlem.” As each day passes, our predictions are becoming more and more of a reality.
A special congrats to our fellow Harlemites on their plans with Harlem Tavern! May everything fall in place and so that we have another new and interesting place to hang! Salude!
Play Recent Podcasts
Search / Browse
- Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- New York City to repair decaying Harlem buildings
- Sign petition to bring Citibikes to Harlem
- Taste Of India – A Bollywood Benefit in Harlem for a good cause At Red Rooster / Ginny’s Supper Club
- Harlem will benefit from Obama’s “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative
Recent post comments
- nykeiko_com on Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- HarlemHCL on Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- Juan Beto Rosado on Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- Urban Garden Center LLC on Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka “Officially” Move to New York: Welcome to Harlem!
- HinHARLEM on New York City to repair decaying Harlem buildings
- Juan Beto Rosado, Lisa Rachel Nickie and 3 other people like your link: "Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka..."
- Harlem Restaurant Row shared your link: "Taste Of India - A Bollywood Benefit in Harlem..."
- Lara Land and Jennifer Hewitt like your link: "Taste Of India - A Bollywood Benefit in..."
- Janice Sterling likes your link.
- Janice Sterling likes your photo.